Musical taste is a highly personal way for many people to express themselves. It can influence our thoughts and emotions in powerful, unexplainable ways. So it can be frustrating when we are unable to showcase the images an album evokes for us on our downloaded music. Or maybe we want album art that fits a personal aesthetic. Whatever the end goal, learning how to add album art in Windows Media Player can help you express your creativity.
3 Different Ways to Add Album Art in Windows Media Player
Adding art for your album covers is more simple than you might think! There are three options for proceeding with this process to customize your music cover in Windows Media Player.
Option 1: Automatically Retrieve the Album Art
This option provides a quick and easy fix if your music is not displaying the original album cover and you would like to retrieve it.
- To retrieve the album cover, navigate first to the library in your Windows Media Player. From there, click on Music, and you will see that there is an Album section in the drop-down menu under Music.
- Navigate your cursor over to this drop down menu and right click on it.
- From the menu options which opens up, select “View”, then “Show Menu Bar” to pull up the menu bar.
- Proceeding from here, click “Tools”, then “Options”.
- At the top of this menu, there should be an option titled “Library”. Click on that and direct your attention to the section within “Library” titled “Automatic media information updates for files”. Within this section is a checkbox next to “Retrieve additional information from the Internet”. Select this checkbox, as well as the option “Overwrite all media information” directly below it.
- This process should retrieve the missing data of your music files, including their album art. This is one method to ensure you can enjoy the album art your music comes with!
Don’t start worrying just yet if this process fails for you! There are other ways to get the album art you are looking for.
Option 2: Manually Insert Album Art
This option opens the door for people who want to get creative with the album art on their music and customize the images displayed. This process may seem a bit tedious, but the aesthetic payoff is worth it in the end!
- Navigate to the “Music” option in the Windows Media Player, and select “Album” from the drop-down menu.
- Once you find an album that you would like to add album art to, go to Google and search for the image you desire. Or, if you have downloaded a particular piece of art, find it in your files.
- After locating your desired image, right click the album art and select “Copy”.
- Return to your Windows Media Player, where the “Album” tab should be open and your albums are displayed.
- Right-click the album you want to add art to and select “Paste Album Art” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Just like that, you have new album art! Repeat this process to add art to your other favorite albums.
If the image does not paste, check and make sure that it is in a format that is compatible with Windows Media Player (JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, or TIFF).
Perhaps this option does not end up working out for you, or you would like to use a faster method. There is one more option that might just be what you are looking for!
Option 3: Use “MetaServices”
When personal efforts to fix something fails, there are always services we can turn to. MetaServices is an option that can help you in your journey to retrieve album art for your music files!
- In your Windows Media Player, navigate once again to “Album” within “Music”.
- Locate the specific album in need of an album art makeover, right-click on it, and click “Find album info” from the menu that pops up.
- A search box will appear. Enter the name of the album whose cover you are looking to revamp in the “Search” box, select the result that is what you are seeking, and then click “Next” to continue.
- Double check that all the details are correct: The album art, the song, any relevant information. When you are sure that everything checks out, select “Finish” to save the changes and enjoy some cool album art!
This service is not available for Windows 7 software.
How to Add Album Art in Windows Media Player: Conclusion
As you can see, there are just a few simple steps between you and expressing your creativity. Whatever your aesthetic may be, you can easily curate your album art to match your taste. Or maybe you prefer to see the original album art on your music. Take this knowledge on how to album art in windows media player and go forth: The options in this article are sure to get you the album art you desire!
Written by Keren Godwin