Have you ever wondered, can you use AirPods on PS4? The PS4 is a popular gaming console, and these days, wireless headphones are becoming more and more common. One of these popular wireless headphones is Apple AirPods. However, there’s a slight problem. The PS4 can’t really connect to bluetooth devices like headsets and earphones. It’s just missing that feature. I’m sure that if you have AirPods, you’ve tried to connect them to your console, and failed. So of course, how is it possible? Is it even possible?
Can You Use AirPods on PS4?
The simple answer is yes.
Though not immediately obvious, it really is possible to connect your AirPods to your PS4. The only caveat is that a Bluetooth adapter is required. But once you get your adapter, you can use it to connect to any Bluetooth device, not just your AirPods. Simply follow these 8 steps, and you can use your AirPods with your PS4 at any time to enhance your gaming experience. This also works for a PS4 Pro.
Steps to Connect AirPods to PS4:
- Connect the bluetooth adapter to the PS4 by plugging it in
- Both the adapter and the AirPods need to be in pairing mode. To place the adapter in pairing mode, check the instructions in the box it comes with. To place the AirPods in pairing mode, open the charging case with the AirPods inside and hold the syncing button on the back. It is important to note that the AirPods must be inside the case to do this.
- The bluetooth adaptor and AirPods should connect immediately
- Since the adaptor is already connected to the PS4, the AirPods should also immediately connect to it
- A message will appear on screen to confirm that the AirPods have been connected
- On your PS4, you can also go to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices to check that the AirPods have been connected. There are two settings to note. The first is the Output Device. Make sure this is set to Headset Connected to Controller. The second is the Output to Headphones. That one you want set to All Audio.
- Through this menu, you can also adjust the volume of the audio to your preferred level
- Have fun gaming!
For the bluetooth adapter, any one should work as long as it connects to the PS4. There are definitely some recommended ones, like the Avantree Leaf Long Range USB Bluetooth Audio Transmitter Adapter, the DEWIN Bluetooth Dongle Adapter, and the Delamin Mini USB 4.0 Bluetooth Adapter/Dongle Receiver and Transmitters. As long as it can connect to the PS4, it doesn’t really matter which adapter you use.
Another great thing about this is that this will work for any headset. If you upgrade your AirPods and get a new pair, it will work for them. There are some bluetooth devices that are already compatible with the PS4, but not that many. If you have one of those, then you can connect it directly to the console without an adapter. However, most of the typical bluetooth headsets aren’t suitable for the gaming console, so a bluetooth adapter is necessary. Since there are only a handful of headphones that can directly connect to a PS4 and a lot that don’t, getting a bluetooth adapter is much more recommended.
Bluetooth adapters are super easy to find on Amazon, and none of them are too expensive. Since it both improves your gaming experience and can be used with multiple other devices, it definitely won’t be a wasted purchase. Go buy one!
If you’re wondering, yes, you can chat with other players using your newly connected AirPods. You might have used them for a call before that’s because AirPods have a built-in microphone. You can use this same thing to talk to your teammates in multiplayer games, just as you would in a regular voice call. It will work just like any other headset!
Now you no longer have to wonder can you use AirPods on PS4! You can play on your PS4 while using your AirPods for audio, and talk to your friends and teammates while you’re at it. You won’t even be bothering anyone nearby with the sound effects since only you will hear them. It’s that easy and that fast. Though not incredibly intuitive, it’s simple enough to do. Have fun gaming!
Written by Katherine Lim