Are Handheld Sewing Machines Any Good? Have you ever had a shirt rip and when you tried sewing it with a common needle and thread the results came out messy and not quite how you expected it to? If you don’t really enjoy sewing, and only need to repair small things from time to time, handheld sewing machines will become your new best friend. These machines are the most convenient option when it comes to fixing small sewing problems. You don’t need a huge sewing machine to fix up a few stitches, instead, handheld sewing machines will do it, and you can take them pretty much anywhere if you ever have an emergency. Handheld sewing machines are simple to use and more accurate than sewing by hand!
What is a handheld sewing machine and how do I use it?
A handheld sewing machine is a small battery-operated portable device commonly used for simple stitching. It is easier to operate than you might think. The first step is to make sure all of your batteries are loaded. Most handheld sewing machines don’t come with batteries included, so make sure you have the right batteries to fit in your device, as they might vary from machine to machine. Next, assemble the bobbin, which is the most important part, as it runs the thread into the fabric. The following step is to thread the needle, and all you have to do is make sure the thread is penetrating from the bottom all the way up to the top. Now the machine is ready to start sewing! Make sure you first unlock the power lock and then press the switch. Once you press the switch, the device will begin to operate and be ready to sew. All you have to do then is use your hand and maneuver the machine where you want it to sew.
When would I use a handheld sewing machine?
- If you just need simple work on your clothes from time to time, like fixing a seam that is falling apart, you would use a handheld sewing machine.
- If you’re someone that travels frequently and require a small sewing device that can fit in your luggage and you can take it anywhere.
- If you don’t want to go through the trouble and don’t have time to learn how to operate a regular sewing machine
Can I use a handheld sewing machine to make clothing?
Handheld sewing machines are recommended for small and simple repairs on the go, therefore, you cannot use them to make clothing. Making clothes from scratch is a big and complex project, so for that, it would be worth it to invest in a classic bigger sewing machine.
Are Handheld Sewing Machines Any Good? – Pros and Cons
The pros of a handheld sewing machine
- Handheld sewing machines are lightweight and usually weigh less than one pound.
- It functions on AA batteries
- If you don’t want to buy batteries, there is also an option of a 6-volt AC adapter, which you can plugin.
- Reviewers have said that for its price, it works well.
The cons of a handheld sewing machine
- A handheld sewing machine only sews through some types of fabrics and layers of fabric.
- You won’t have perfect and even looking stitches. Since it is a handheld machine, all of the control is in your hand, and it is hard to have a perfectly steady hand.
- Some reviewers have said that these machines aren’t the most durable. Because they are mostly cheap, they are often made from cheap materials.
Is a handheld sewing machine worth it?
The answer to this question really depends on what you need to use it for and the results you expect out of it. If you only need quick fix-ups then yes, it is worth it. Now if you’re looking to fix something more complex or work on bigger projects then it is not worth it, as it would be better to buy an actual sewing machine. You could even buy a used sewing machine if you’re worried it might be too expensive
If you’re looking for a great handheld sewing machine but don’t know which one to buy, we have listed some of the best options! If all you need is a simple stitch fix-up, you won’t be disappointed with these machines!
Written by Carolina Thompson