There are many different coffee filter options available. You may not even have known that the type of coffee filter that you choose can affect the overall flavor and effectiveness of the filtration. Coffee filters vary based on materials, size, and shape. From reading this guide, we hope that we can help you make an educated decision when choosing the best coffee filter option for you.
Top 13 Best Coffee Filter Options
1. Hario Paper Coffee Filter
Hario is a reputable, trusted brand in the coffee industry originating in Japan. Used in coffee halls worldwide, Hario makes exquisite coffee makers and is most well known for specializing in heat-resistant glassware. Their V60 coffee drippers are also quite popular and the V60 paper coffee filters are ideally the best for these makers. Their natural paper coffee filters are of higher quality than generic paper filters. The Hario V60 has a tabbed outer edge that allows for easier grip when removing from the coffee machine. Being cone-shaped they are compatible with coffee makers that require cone-shaped filters.
They usually come in packs of 100 so they should last a while. While these are unbleached they also have a bleached option available. They also come in different sizes: size 1, size 2, and size 3. These sizes are based on the size of the coffee brewer. Each filter has a hole that will speed up the filtering process.
- Paper (Unbleached and Bleached available)
- Used for Pour over coffee
- Package of 100
- Available in sizes 1, 2, and 3
Sample Customer Review…2nd purchase on these Hario paper filters. They fit perfectly in my ceramic coffee dripper. These filters are not flimsy nor do they tear easily when in use. They fit perfectly in the Hario V60 dripper. I tried a store-brand pack of filters once and regretted it big time. They tore at the seams while I was still pouring hot water into the dripper, made a hole, and coffee grounds just went into my cup. Wasnt the only time, even after doubling them up, the same thing happened. So I had no choice but to look only for a decent quality filter. This is it…. not going to change brands.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
2. Melitta Basket Coffee Filters
- Filters fit all 8-12 cup Basket-type household coffeemakers.
- Melitta Coffee Filters, Basket, Pack of 600
- Filters fit all 8-12 cup basket-type household coffeemakers
- item package weight: 1.1 pounds
If you own a large coffee machine holding eight to twelve cups but prefer a bleached basket filter then Melitta Bleached Basket Coffee Filters are right for you. Melitta has a great reputation for the chlorine-free bleaching process that does not negatively affect the taste of the coffee. They are of higher quality than traditional store brand filters. The paper is thicker allowing for better filtration and easier removal. This package of bleached coffee filters comes in a package of 600. If you were to only make one pot of coffee a day this pack would last you about two years!
- Paper, Bleached
- Package of 600
- Used in large coffee machines
- Holds 8-12 cups
- Basket shaped
- Base diameter 3 ½”, side height 2 1/2 “
Sample Customer Review…I have purchased the Melitta coffee filters previously. They are an excellent value and work great. I recently purchased a package for our local elementary school art teacher for having students make snowflakes. In addition, I have used the filters as a great mirror cleaner. They also work great to use under your vegetable or other oil bottles to catch and absorb the “drips”. While my main reason for purchasing them has been as a coffee filter, they have many practical uses.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
3. Melitta Coffee Cone Filters
- CONE COFFEE FILTERS: These super premium Melitta cone coffee filters will fit all 8 to 12 cup drip coffee makers that have a conical shaped filter basket - as well as most pour-over coffeemakers calling for a #4 cone coffee filter like Melitta’s new Signature and Heritage Series. Our filters trap more bitter oils & impurities for a better cup of coffee.
- ADVANCED DESIGN: Our coffee filters feature Microfine Flavor Enhancing perforations that allow the full coffee flavor to filter through & a double crimped filter design to help protect against bursting.
- QUALITY FILTERS: Our cone, basket and single serve filters are all designed to brew rich, flavorful coffee. They are all compostable & made of high quality paper that won't tear for mess-free brewing.
- PERFECT BREWING: Our products are designed to provide the perfect brewing experience with a complete selection of cone coffee filters, pour-over coffee filters, basket coffee filters, single serve coffee filters & tea filters.
- JOIN THE PURSUIT FOR BETTER COFFEE: Melitta is dedicated to providing the ultimate coffee experience with our premium coffee filters, coffee pods, pour-over brewers, coffee makers & premium coffees.
Melitta Natural Cone Coffee Filters are unbleached, 100% chlorine-free natural paper filters designed for size 4 pour-over coffee makers that can brew eight to twelve cups. These coffee filters are made with microfine, flavor-enhancing perforations. This allows the flavor of the coffee to completely filter through. A standard package holds 100 filters although Amazon tends to sell them in packs so you can get more than 100 if needed. For those who prefer a bleached version, Melitta has this as well.
- Paper, Unbleached
- Package of 100
- Used in large coffee machines
- Holds 8-12 cups
Sample Customer Review…These filters have a double-corrugated, large, and strong seam that has never burst open, releasing grounds into my coffee, the way some of the recycled or cheaper varieties sometimes do. The seam is a bit larger than the competitors’, so I fold over the edges so it fits snuggly in my coffeemaker cone. No problem with the filters clogging. I can’t taste any paper off-flavor even when used without rinsing. I used to occasionally run a cycle of water through my coffeemaker with the filter in place to rinse it before putting in any coffee grounds when blending a special batch (though I now think this is unnecessary) and the filters did hold up fine.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
4. Perfect Pod EZ-Cup Paper Filters
- Allows the use your own coffee in Single Cup Coffee Brewing Machines
- EZ-Cup Filters remove oils and sediments
- Should be used with EZ-Cup and EZ-Cup 2.0 (Sold separately)
- No more coffee grounds in your freshly made coffee
- Saves up to 80% over pre-filled single serve capsules
For those who enjoy using a Keurig coffee machine, but do not enjoy the waste that is created using disposable pods, there are biodegradable paper filters available for reusable plastic pods. One of these is the Perfect Pod EZ-Cup Paper Filters, which have been highly reviewed. The paper filters are completely biodegradable so you do not have to worry about their effects on the environment. It comes with two hundred filters and will be more cost-efficient than buying disposable pods all the time in the long run. You can also use the coffee grinds you desire and will not be limited to K-pod coffees.
- Biodegradable, Bleached Paper
- Package of 200 filters
- Designed for reusable coffee pods
Sample Customer Review…I was looking for a way to make a good cup of coffee with a lot less waste than the pre-made cups, and this is it! I’d even tried the re-usable cups without paper inserts, and it was a lot to deal with the grounds, both the cleaning and the remnants clogging my sink. These mini-filters inserts are easy to use and, when filled up, make a perfect cup of coffee with very little waste. Even a little flap over the top, which means NO dealing with grounds. Yay!Read more reviews at Amazon.com
5. Goldtone Reusable Basket Coffee Filter
- FITS MOST MODELS - GoldTone Basket-style Mr. Coffee coffee filter with Solid bottom. Fits most Mr. Coffee 10-12 cup basket-style coffeemakers
- EASY TO CLEAN - This washable filter cleans easily under running water. Dishwasher-safe
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - This BPA-Free Reusable golden-mesh filter helps conserve natural resources and protect environment. These rigid plastic coffee filters are built to the highest standard.
- FULL FLAVOR - Lets the coffee flavor through for richer tasting coffee.
- MADE IN USA - GoldTone reusable Filters are precision crafted in the USA using surgical grade stainless-steel woven mesh
Using surgical-grade metal mesh and BPA-free plastic, the Goldtone Reusable Basket Coffee Filter is durable enough to last years. It is ideal for large coffee makers that brew eight to twelve cups. They are easy to clean and dishwasher safe. Like other reusable filters, they are of higher quality than paper filters. Reusable filters do not absorb some of the oils in coffee like paper filters do letting all of the flavors into the coffee. Goldtone also has other sizes available such as a #4 cone filter and a basket-shaped model for 4-8 cup coffee makers.
- Reusable, stainless steel, BPA-free plastic
- Package of 1
- Used for large coffee makers
- For 8-12 cups
- Basket shaped
Sample Customer Review…A great product. I’ve tested it out through several pots even using 4 scoops of coffee; way stronger than normal. I don’t get where people say it’s hard to clean. I simply dump the grounds in my compost bucket then rinse it out. I wasn’t sure about the solid bottom instead of the micro screen but realize it’s actually a good feature as the water must go through more grounds to get to the pot. I’m very satisfied with this filter. Yes, you’ll get a little silt in the pot but that’s part of using a micro screen. You’ll also get more of the oils from the bean giving the coffee more flavor. It’s definitely well worth the money.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
6. Basket Coffee Filters
- High Quality - Sturdy sides won't collapse during brewing. This minimizes coffee grounds getting into your coffee.
- Standard Size - Made to fit coffee makers from 8 cup up to 12 cup. The dimensions of this filter are: Base Diameter 3-1/4", Side Height 2-3/8"
- Superior Taste - Paper filters remove most oils and micro coffee particles which cause coffee to turn bitter. Metal and cloth filters can let these into your cup.
- Eco-friendly & Made In The USA - Biodegradable and made from paper, a renewable resource. All manufactured right here in the US.
- Easy Clean Up - Disposable filters mean that you can toss the grounds without needing to clean out a metal filter.
These large unbleached paper coffee filters made by Rupert and Jeoffrey’s Trading Co. are ideal for large coffee makers and can handle eight to twelve cups. Since they are thicker than other store brands the sides won’t collapse after the brewing process despite the coffee grounds being heavier from mixing with water. The package comes with 500 unbleached natural paper coffee filters which will last quite a while. They leave no residue in the coffee pot and are easy to separate. Some users recommend rinsing the paper underwater before use as some say this gets rid of the papery taste that can be left by unbleached filters.
- Paper, Unbleached
- Package of 500
- Used in large coffee machines
- Holds 8-12 cups
- Basket shaped
- Side Height 2-3/8″, Base Diameter 3-1/4″
Sample Customer Review…These unbleached paper coffee filters are the best I have ever used, even besting the permanent copper or gold-tone filters which have diminished in quality over the years. The bond is a perfect weight, not too heavy nor too light. The heavy and multiple pleats keep the filter in shape and in place when setting into the basket. I also prefer paper filters to permanent filters for ease of clean-up. If you’re going to go for or back to paper filters these are the ones to buy.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
7. Mr. Coffee Basket Coffee Filters
If you are in an office setting, Mr. Coffee Basket Coffee Filters are ideal. They are cheap yet decent quality and are readily available at many stores. Unlike most generic store brand coffee filters they are not cheap and flimsy. They are also pretty compatible with the majority of drip coffee makers that can brew eight to twelve cups. Mr. Coffee Basket Coffee Filters come in packs of 50 and 100 and are bleached with oxygen.
- Paper, Bleached
- Package of 50 or 100 available
- Used for large drip coffee machines
- For eight to twelve cups
- Base diameter of 4″, height of 2 1/2″
Sample Customer Review…I have been using these Mr. Coffee coffee filters for as long as I have had these units. They are consistently reliable, holding the grounds without tearing and letting the water flow through easily. These are the only filters that I will use for my coffee maker.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
8. YEOSEN Reusable 4 Cone Filter
- DOUBLE DELICIOUS: Thanks to the fine mesh of the coffee filter, the coffee powder doesn’t flow out. Keeping the original flavor of the coffee and doesn’t remove the aroma of coffee like paper filters.
- ECO-FRIENDLY AND SAVE YOUR MONEY: There is no denying, the disposable filter is convenient. It’s good to put it in the trash can.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Just put the 4 coffee filter under the flowing water, the coffee powder is cleaned up and the #4 coffee filter won't rust. Also give a spoon with a cleaning function, no longer worry about cleaning problems. Dishwasher safe.
- UNIVERSAL APPLICABLE: Compatible with most 4 coffee filter and fit for Cuisinart Ninja Hamilton Beach coffee makers and brewers.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: We Provide lifetime quality assurance services, refund you full-payment. If you have any suggestions or valuable advice, please contact us. Look forward to your purchase.
The YEOSEN Reusable #4 Cone Filter is made of food-grade stainless steel fine mesh. Since it is fine mesh it can handle finer ground coffee. This leads to a cleaner cup at the end of the brewing. It is also available in a basket-shaped model for large coffee makers that brew 8-12 cups. If you are looking for a high-quality filter that is eco-friendly and reusable then this is ideal for you.
- Stainless steel
- Available in size #4
- Used for pour-over coffee (Basket model is available also for drip coffee makers)
Sample Customer Review…I love how well this fits my coffee maker and how easy to clean it is. It’s so easy to use and I love that I’m not spending money on paper filters and helping to save this planet. I’m a college student and this definitely makes my morning routine easier and my coffee taste great. I was a little scared of the flavor it was going to leave because I thought it was made out of metal but I had no issues. I had also read something about the coffee grains spilling out but I haven’t had an issue with that, and honestly, the holes are too small that I don’t know how people would even have that problem. Will definitely purchase this again.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
9. Cloth Reusable Coffee Filter
- ECO-FRIENDLY COFFEE FILTER: Our filters are all made of 55% hemp and 45% organic cotton – both responsibly produced, sustainable materials that will last through hundreds of uses.
- ZERO WASTE AND MORE AFFORDABLE: Our filters cost around the same as a box of paper coffee filters (or tea filters), but will last far longer, so not only are you taking a small step to stop single use products, but you’re also saving some money in the process. We also use minimal packaging to ensure we keep it green!
- HANDMADE WITH CARE IN CANADA: Purchasing from Pinyon Products means you are supporting a small business right here in North America (not a massive overseas manufacturer), and the profits from your purchase go right back into our local economy.
- GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR COFFEE: Our cloth filters remove more of the bitter sediment than metal mesh filters that can taint the taste of your delicious coffee, while still allowing more of the natural, decadent oils to pass through than paper filters.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Just empty the grounds (hopefully into your compost), rinse and allow to air-dry. For a deeper clean after months of use, boil in some water for 3-5 minutes.
The Pinyon Organic Hemp Reusable Cloth Filter is available in a range of styles and sizes. They are made of 45% organic cotton and 55% organic hemp in Canada. They are high quality and must be stored in a glass of water either in the sink or fridge. This is to prevent the formation of mildew which can occur on any cloth filters. It can be cleaned in boiling water and must be cleaned daily. This is a big drawback of cloth filters but it can create an aromatic cup with sweet and fruity undertones while reducing sediments. Since these filters are organic they are unbleached and natural so you will not have to worry about any chemicals.
- Cloth, Hemp and Cotton, Unbleached
- Used for Pour Over Coffee Makers (cone-shaped) and Drip Coffee Makers (basket sized)
- For machines with 8-12 cups
- Available in cone sizes #2 and #4, and basket sizes #2 and #4
- Cone or basket-shaped
Sample Customer Review…This organic fabric filter is amazing. It is very well constructed and has no odor. It’s perfect for camping and Bug-out bags as well. Before my first use, I simply rinsed it with water and let it air-dry. The directions say, wet the filter before placing it in the cone to help it stay in place, then add your grounds. It worked great! It did not change the taste of my coffee at all. Afterward, simply turn it inside out, dump the grounds and rinse! Let it air-dry. I’m sure, over time, it may become discolored. Depends mostly on the type of coffee you use. After a week of use, two cups a day, my filter has not changed color. I am going to be buying several more for myself and my friends.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
10. Barista Warrior Pour Over Coffee Filter
- COMPATIBLE WITH MOST COFFEE MAKER: This pour over coffee filter size is compatible for coffee makers (6, 8, 10 cup) and Hario V60 02 and 03. Made from titanium coated stainless steel, this gold pour over filter will also fit most coffee drippers.
- REUSABLE COFFEE FILTER: No more disposable paper filters since it inhibits the brewing process by blocking the majority of coffee’s natural oils and nutrients. Our permanent cones coffee filter is more economical and eco-friendly, holds its shape despite the bulk number of uses.
- ADD A BETTER TASTING COFFEE: The metal coffee filter has dual filtration, with a stainless steel mesh on the inside, and a laser-cut filter on the inside. Our customers rave that this cone coffee filter makes much better coffee than traditional paper filters!
- EASY CLEANING OPERATION: After use, simply dump your coffee grounds and rinse your gold tone coffee filter under warm running water. We recommend every 2-3 weeks to descale the pour over filter by soaking it in a solution of distilled vinegar and warm water.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We take pride in the quality of our products and back it up with a 6-month manufacturer’s guarantee. This modern coffee maker accessories help in making a perfect glass of coffee like a pro.
If you own a Hario V60 or Chemex and are looking for a reusable metal cone filter instead of paper, then the Barista Warrior Pour Over Filter is right for you. This metal filter is compatible with Hario 02 and Hario 03 sized models. It can also fit many other pour-over coffee makers, but it is not meant for coffee machines.
Available both in gold and silver, they are made with stainless steel. Unlike the silver model, the gold has a coating of titanium for color. It has a dual filtration system that helps reduce the number of coffee grounds that pass through the filter, creating a ground-free cup of coffee. This dual filtration process also leads to a more flavorful cup than those brewed with traditional paper filters. Each filter has a no-slip silicon ring to keep the filter in place.
These metal reusable filters are easy to clean. They are dishwasher safe and it is recommended that every two to three weeks to descale the filter. This is done by soaking the filter in a solution of distilled vinegar and warm water.
- Stainless steel (gold has titanium coating)
- Used for pour-over coffee
- Package of 1
- Available in silver or gold
- Fits Hario size 02 and 03, Chemex, and some other types of pour-over coffee makers
Sample Customer Review…I am a coffee junkie! I have filtered coffee using everything from a Costa Rican drip sock, toilet paper, paper towels, straw hats, a pine needle basket, organic unbleached cotton, and a french press. Some filtering is done under demanding coffee circumstances. This filter is absolutely one of the best.
I use this filter in my Chemex drip machine at home and on my road trip & camping kit (bought 2). Super-strong, great filtering with no loss of coffee essential oils and flavors. YUM!Read more reviews at Amazon.com
11. Ezway Oval Filter
The Ezway Oval Filter is incredibly versatile. The company claims it is universal and can fit most oval-shaped, basket, and conical machines. Its stretchable design allows it to fit a number of coffee machines. Made of stainless steel mesh, it is durable and can make up to two thousand pots of coffee.
- Plastic, Metal mesh
- Works with a variety of basket, conical, or oval-shaped brewers
- For machines with 6-8 cups
- Dimensions 4.7 x 4.7 x 2.4”
Sample Customer Review…This is great, no paper filters and the coffee is good… This will probably fit any coffee maker’s ground insert as it kind of expands to fit. I bought another one that also works, but we seem to use this one more…Read more reviews at Amazon.com
12. OvalWare Paperless Reusable Coffee Filter
- ➤ DESIGNED TO FIT AND EXCEL – Our Titanium coated stainless steel dripper is carefully engineered to fit most branded coffee carafes including the 6, 8 and 10 cup Chemex Coffee Makers and Hario V60 02 and 03 drippers. Our removable BPA-FREE silicone grip complements your wooden or glass Chemex and grips the glass rim securely.
- ➤ UNLOCK NEW FLAVORS WITH DUAL FILTER CONSTRUCTION –Superior quality Titanium Coated 18/8 304 Stainless Steel with DUAL FILTER technology: a superfine high-quality mesh on the inside and a laser-cut filter on the outside. This design prevents coffee grounds from getting through and does NOT absorb coffee’s essential oils and nutrients like paper filters do, allowing you to revel in a rich, organic brew every time!
- ➤ CLEAN UP HAS NEVER BEEN THIS EASY – Simply dump your coffee grounds out after each use, and rinse your filter under warm running water. Every 2 weeks or so, descale the filter by soaking it with white distilled vinegar and warm water.
- ➤ ECO-FRIENDLY & SAVE YOU MONEY – You’ll no longer need to spend money on disposable coffee filters or pods, which not only put a dent in your pocket, but also fill the earth’s landfills! Many drippers here on Amazon are made with poor construction that leads to messy clean up. Trust us, make the wise long-term investment on Ovalware Dripper and start crafting your very own, barista-level brews.
- ➤ WE WANT YOU! TO BE HAPPY – Choose OVALWARE if you care about quality and customer service. We have great confidence in the quality of our products, and we have the best customer service here on Amazon - which is why we are offering you a Risk-Free purchase. In the unlikely event our product fails to meet or exceed your expectations, you may return our product within 90 DAYS post-purchase to receive a FULL refund.
A reusable coffee cone dripper perfect for the average coffee lover. Not only does it preserve the rich flavor of the coffee but it is also easy to clean!
- Dual filter construction
- Simple water rinse to clean
- Fits 02 and 03 drippers
Sample Customer Review…I love this filter! I bought it to save a little money on the expensive V 60 & Chemex filters and be more environmentally friendly. I also happen to be a craft/3rd wave coffee drinker and was hoping to not sacrifice taste. I have not been disappointed! After a couple of months of using this filter multiple times a day, it continues to flow just fine. I noticed that several other reviewers stated they had problems with that. I don’t know why there’s a difference, but the instructions say you should clean it immediately after use, which is what we’ve done. We simply tap it out into the compost, then rinse it with water as described in the instructions. Once a week or so we throw it in the top rack of the dishwasher. This is a great find and I highly recommend it.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
13. PureHQ Reusable Mesh Ground Coffee Filter
- COMPATIBLE: Keurig K-Duo Essentials Coffee Maker and K-Duo Brewers Machine
- GOLD TONE MESH FILTER + REUSABLE K-CUPS: Built for durability and longevity, the reusable Gold Tone Mesh Filter Basket and K-cups by PureHQ are made from premium material and rigid design. The special crafted mesh stainless steel micro-eteched design made to prevent clogs, leaks and at the same time maximize water dispersion. The K Cups replaces other regular coffee filters like Kuerig My K-cup in more affordable way.
- GREAT VALUE AND SAVINGS - Utilizing the refillable Mesh Coffee filter with 2 packs K-cups for your K Duo Machine by eliminating coffee paper filters and save over 80% instead of buying many disposable Kuerig Kcup coffee pods. Easy to refill, wash and clean after use.
- ECO-FRIENDLY AND BPA FREE - Made from best and safest material on the market - 100% BPA FREE - Stay healthy and enjoy K-Cup coffee pod with cleaner environment. Easy installation that allows you to create your best-tasting top notch carafe ground coffee ☕ or tea at your own convenience in your home kitchen or office.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - If for ANY reason you are not satisfied with your Mesh Ground Coffee Filter and K Cup refillable, just contact us and we will send you a replacement or full refund within 60 days - Guaranteed by PureHQ!
Have you ever needed a bucket-sized filter that is compatible with hybrid machines like K-Duo coffeemakers? Well, with the PureHQ Reusable Mesh Ground Coffee Filter it’s done simply with its stainless steel mesh accompanied with diffusion pods that diffuse the natural flavors of coffee. You don’t have to go through the hassle of throwing away K-Cups every day anymore!
- High-grade stainless steel
- Handy accessories like spoons and brushes
- Gold-Tone Mesh Filter
Sample Customer Review…I love these products, they are very easy to use, easy to clean, my coffee is brewed to perfection with great flavor with these mesh baskets. I would recommend these to anyone that wants easy-to-use and great flavor for your ground coffee for your Keurig or K-cup coffee maker. Excellent choice productRead more reviews at Amazon.com
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Purchasing the Best Coffee Filter
The way coffee is filtered can completely change the taste.
Filters that are made from paper or cloth will absorb all the coffee oils, which will lose some of its intense flavors.
If you want a powerful brew that really allows you to taste every element of the bean, and that invigorates you for the workday, you will enjoy the results from a plastic or gold-tone filter since it absorbs less of the coffee oils.
Shape, Size, and Materials
When deciding which filter to use, it is best to keep in mind what type of coffee maker you have.
A drip coffee machine (the most traditional type) usually requires a basket-shaped filter whereas a pour-over coffee maker requires a cone-shaped filter.
From there you will have to consider the size of the machine – how many cups you will need. For the pour-over coffee makers, they tend to use filters with about 1-4 cups, whereas larger coffee machines can handle about 8-12 cups of coffee.
Bleached vs. Unbleached Paper Coffee Filters
There are two different types of paper coffee filters: bleached and unbleached.
The distinguishable difference is that bleached filters come in white and unbleached filters come in brown as they are natural.
To become bleached filters, they go through a chlorine or oxygen-based bleaching process. And although that sounds discerning, experts say that the amount of chlorine is minuscule and that it is nothing to worry about. However, if you are still concerned, it is said that oxygen-bleached filters are of higher quality than chlorine-bleached filters. And although they are better than the bleached filters and are biodegradable, keep in mind that these filters are still disposable which harms the environment.
Unbleached paper coffee filters are filters that are made naturally and do not include bleaching. They come naturally as brown and are also more environmentally friendly as it skips the bleaching process and is biodegradable. However, one drawback to using unbleached filters is that many coffee brewers report that it affects the flavor of the coffee, leaving a paper-like taste. A way to avoid this is by rinsing the filter with hot water before using it. This will remove the natural oils found in the filter that create the papery taste, and thus create a cleaner taste!
Depending on whether you choose bleached or unbleached filters, there are some drawbacks associated with paper filters. First, they are disposable and may potentially harm the environment in the long run. And second, the costs may add up over time and might bleed through your wallet. With that considered, it may be best to consider reusable filters.
Reusable Coffee Filters
On deciding which filters to use, reusable filters are best when you want to save money and be eco-friendly.
There are two types of reusable filters: metal and cloth filters.
Reusable metal coffee filters are usually made from food-grade stainless steel. These metals do not contain any harmful chemicals and are safe for brewing! Unlike paper filters, these metal filters don’t absorb as many oils from the coffee beans during the brewing process, which means more flavor! By using a metal filter, it will result in a richer, more potent taste in your brew that will brighten your day.
Though they may be pricey, these reusable metal filters beat buying disposable coffee filters in the long run as the cost of buying adds up over time. Plus, metal filters are dishwasher safe, so if you properly clean and maintain them, they can last a lifetime!
In contrast, cloth filters allow fewer micro-sediments to filter into the coffee compared to metal filters. This means less absorption of the coffee oils and more flavorful brews. However, cloth filters have a large drawback as they are harder to maintain. They have to be properly washed after each use and must be stored in water in the fridge. By doing so, it prevents mildew from growing on the filters which no one likes drinking. And unlike the metal filters, they do have an expiration date. After 100 brews, their effectiveness diminishes and they are left obsolete.
Selecting a coffee filter at times can be hard. Depending on the size and type of your machine, it may need a specific filter for you to get the most out of your coffee. And even then, there is a huge variety of filters out there ranging from metal and cloth or unbleached and bleached. These factors affect the taste and effectiveness of your coffee. So, find the best one that works for you!
Written by Jack Leduc and Michael Duong
- Best Coffee Container
- Best Hand Coffee Grinder
- Best Pour Over Coffee Makers
- Best Mug Warmers
- Best Milk Frothers
- Best Coffee Mug