The best flashlight for camping usually takes into consideration things like brightness, run time, durability, water resistance, size, light modes, and rechargeability. With this in mind, finding a flashlight that meets all of these requirements can be a hassle. That is why we provide you a detailed list of the best flashlight for camping so that you don’t have to do the hard work.
11 Options to Find The Best Flashlight for Camping
1. TC1200 Pro Tactical Flashlight
The TC1200 is a powerful tactical flashlight that emanates 1200 lumens. The TC1200 boasts a lasting period of 100,000 hours so this flashlight will last you a long time. The TC1200 Pro has 5 lighting modes including SOS and strobe. It has an aircraft-grade aluminum body with a slip-resistant grip for durability. It features an anti-reflective lens with a 500-meter zoom and is waterproof. This flashlight is sturdy enough to break window glass and has overheat protection features.
Sample Customer Review… These are well made and very easy to use. I really like the focus ability on the light beam and the lantern option is great for hands-free work. Lightly pressing on the tail cap switch will get you a brighter beam, S-O-S, and blinking. I gave these to my Pops and Auntie and they love the amount of light it gives off.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
2. GearLight LED Tactical Flashlight S1000
The GearLight S1000 comes as a 2 set. The light modes are SOS, strobe, low, medium, and high. Strobe and SOS are useful emergency signals. This LED flashlight is 10x brighter than incandescent flashlights. You can change beam focus narrow and wide and it can focus on an object 1000 feet away. The GearLight S1000 flashlight can fit easily into your camping bag or pocket. These tactical flashlights are built from high-quality aluminum and are durable in a variety of situations. It is water-resistant and can work underwater. The flashlight can use AAA batteries or a rechargeable battery, the bright light uses a lot of power so the three AAA batteries only last up to 5 hours.
Sample Customer Review… Amazing development and perfect for anyone who spends a bunch of time outdoors. Camping, hiking, biking, perfect for all. This light is blindingly bright in a package the size of your thumb. Not cheap but still a good value. You will not be sorry you bought it.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
3. Goal Zero Torch 250 Flashlight
The Goal Zero Torch 250 is a long-lasting rechargeable flashlight. It is eco-friendly and has a solar panel for recharging the battery. It also comes with a USB port for electric charging and a hand crank for manual recharge. The electric charge port can double as a phone charger. It has 3 light modes: flashlight, floodlight, and red emergency light. The runtime is 48 hours and has a brightness of 250 lumens. This flashlight is waterproof and has many useful features to consider.
Sample Customer Review… This unit has every conceivable method for recharging including USB, solar panel, and built-in hand-crank generator. The two-brightness LED spot modes throw blinding beams great distances, and the two-mode LED flood-light array provides sufficient light to fill a room or for working under an engine hood when it’s dark outside, but don’t look directly at these LED’s either, as it will take your eyes a while to readjust before you can see again. I suspect the two-brightness red lights can be seen from great distances, as well. The USB output and the built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, along with the solar panel and hand-crank generator provide an endless capability to recharge cell phones and devices that rely on a similar configuration for recharging. Lastly, there are two swing-out metal arms for hanging the unit on straps, etc.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
4. LE Rechargeable Led Camping Lantern
This LE LED camping flashlight made of superb Cree XML LED with a 1000 lumen is able to illuminate up to 500m of distance (1640ft). It is suitable for extra brightness and can be helpful outdoors in case of emergencies. The LED lantern is a built-in 3600mAh rechargeable that comes with an indicator that tells the battery life. The best features of this lantern come with 5 lighting modes on three different sides. The front torch: full and low brightness, the left side light: full and half brightness, and the right side light: red flashing light. This lantern is water-resistant and can be carried out on rainy and snowy days.
Sample Customer Review… Purchased this after returning the Stanley Fat Max I bought from Walmart 2 days prior that is falsely advertised as 2200 Lumens = 920 Lumens. Nonetheless, the Fat Max was nice, but it would not fully charge (even overnight). I am extremely happy with the LE, it came fully charged and ready to go. Super bright in comparison to the Fat Max. The side lantern is also a lot brighter than I expected on the higher setting. Flashing red LEDs are very cool as well. One thing that I did notice in the instructions was that the high and low settings indicated appear to be backward in the illustration. It indicates that the Low is one dash mark (-), and the High is the double dash mark (=). I believe this is backward, at least for mine, (-) is High, (=) is Low. Either a misprint or my switch is not installed correctly, more than likely a misprint. No matter the reason, this light is super awesome and I highly recommend it. I almost forgot to mention the 4 blue indicator lights on the back that monitor the battery charge, very cool and useful. Great purchase.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
5. Maglite ML300L LED 3-Cell D Flashlight
- Advanced focus system (adjusts from spot to flood with less than 1/4 turn of the head)
- Up to 625 Lumens
- Up to 117 hrs on-time Eco Mode
- Available modes: Momentary, full power, low power, eco mode, strobe
- Multi mode electronic switch. Momentary, Full Power, Low Power, ECO and Strobe
The Maglite ML300L has the option to come with 2 or 3 cells for more energy and power for heavy usage. The 3 cell option comes with the ability to use its eco setting for more than 100 hours straight! It also helps that the batteries can be removed at any time, so if you know that you might be outside in a dark place for a longer period of time spare batteries will be greatly beneficial. One thing to take note of about the ML300L is that it is far from the cheapest flashlight available and usually costs around $45 to $60 depending on whether you opt to purchase the 2 or 3 cell version. However with this extra price point you and gaining durability since its casing is made up of tough anodized aluminum to last for many years of great camping.
Sample Customer Review… I got my first Maglite way back in the early 80s. I upgraded to an Led 3-D cell about ten years ago, which was a huge improvement over the old incandescent. That light started giving me problems so I figured it was time to upgrade to the latest and greatest. This new one – ML300L – is quite a bit brighter than the old LED. Some differences to note: ML300L is slightly smaller than the older version. The switch is now multi-function and works with less effort. On the downside, the beam, while very bright, is less adjustable than the older version. The older version adjusts both wider and narrower. It’s nice to have a greater range. Mag Instrument, Inc., makers of Maglites, offers a lifetime warranty on their lights. That old LED light that was giving me trouble was recently sent to their warranty department. They completely rebuilt my light – new switch, lens, “o” rings, cleaned and lubed. All it cost me was shipping to them (like $8). Fantastic customer service. You absolutely will not find this quality of product and service in another light.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
6. Anker Bolder LC90
- SUPER-BRIGHT: 900-lumen (max) Cree LED sweeps bright light over the length of about two football fields (660 ft / 200 m) and reaches nearly 1000 ft. Fully zoomable from wide to narrow beam. Features 5 adaptable settings: High / Medium / Low / Strobe / SOS.
- LONG-LASTING: Up to 6 hours (Medium-beam mode) of powerful, non-diminishing brightness from the included premium rechargeable 3350mAh battery. LEDs boast an extended 50000-hour lifespan. Recharge in just 6 hours with a 1A adapter (not included) and the included Micro USB cable.
- TOUGH & RELIABLE: IPX5-rated water resistant and designed for use in heavy rain. Its durable aluminum body and shock-resistance endure rough handling.
- SMART DESIGN: A pocket-friendly compact chassis with an anti-slip finish holds fast in your hand or stands on-end as an emergency lamp.
- WHAT YOU GET: Anker Bolder LC90 Flashlight, 18650 3350mAh rechargeable battery, Micro USB cable, wrist strap, welcome guide, and our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
Anker Bolder LC90 is a 2-Cell 900 Lumen LED, rechargeable camping flashlight. This flashlight is a great choice to bring on your camp trip. This flashlight has a non-bulky hand grip for its size. The flashlight is water-resistant and lasts about 30 hours in a medium setting. This comes with rechargeable 3350mAh batteries with 5 light settings SOS/Strobe/Low/Medium/High.
Runs up to 30 hours so it lasts a long time. You will not have to pack a battery charger for a short camping trip with this flashlight. Its size makes it comfortable to use and carry. Because it is a rechargeable battery you won’t have to buy extra batteries. Water resistance is a feature so you have no worries if it gets wet or needs use in the rain. The five light modes (SOS, Strobe, Low, Medium, and High) make this a versatile flashlight with a lot of use for various situations.
Sample Customer Review… Bought this flashlight specifically to use while venturing into the Ape Cave at Mount St. Helens. It’s pitch dark in that cave since there is no natural or man-made lighting in the cave other than what you bring with you. The LC90’s zoom function was extremely beneficial and, while zoomed all the way out, this little flashlight was able to illuminate the entire cave. It even provided enough light to get some great cave photos using my cell phone camera! The build quality is fantastic. Its all-metal enclosure is clearly built to last, and it has gaskets in the right places for water resistance. Of note, IP65 is NOT waterproof, it’s water-resistant. If you want a waterproof flashlight, check out the Anker Bolder LC130 which is IP68 certified as well as brighter and features a longer battery life. Speaking of battery life, I was in the Ape Cave for about 2.5 hours in total and the LC90 was still running like a champ in high power mode.
All in all, this is a fantastic product I would recommend to anyone who needs a flashlight for home, camping, or general use. Its compact size, build quality, brightness, and water resistance in addition to its rechargeable battery make the LC90 a great value.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
7. ThruNite Archer 2A V3
- Compact and Lightweight - Coming at 6 inches long and less than an inch wide, it is scaled down so as to easily fit in any size of hands, which is extremely portable, you could fit the archer in your purse, backpack, or pocket and probably not even notice it.
- Well Placed Tactical Dual Button - Easily to turn the light on/off, but will never accidentally shut it off or changed the mode when using it, very reliable when it works.
- Bright and Versatile Use - With an output of 500 lumens, and beam for 108 meters away, perfect for everyday use, like dog walking, home security and emergency, camping and hiking, etc.(2*AA batteries are not included)
- Reliable and Durable - Powered by 2*AA batteries(not included), you could buy the battery everywhere. Made out of aluminum alloy, 1-meter impact-resistant, and a waterproof rating of IPX8, and dustproof, no need to worry about dropping it or using it in extremely bad weather.
- High-Performance LED - Uses a CREE XP-L2 LED and has 5 modes: Firefly, Low, Medium, High, and Strobe. Trustable with the convenience of AA batteries that can be found at almost any store.
The ThruNite Archer 2A V3 is an ideal camping flashlight. It comes with a feature called firefly mode to emit 0.2 lumens so when camping your eyes are able to adjust better and complete tasks in the dark. Firefly mode works well when leaving camp to use the bathroom, read a book or look at a map, and look for something in your tent without interrupting others with a bright light. The ThruNite Archers strobe mode rapidly emits at 500 lumens. The strobe feature is useful as an emergency signal. This flashlight is durable and simple, it has 2 buttons for users.
Sample Customer Review… The ThruNite Archer 2A V3 is a testament to Thrunite’s continued pursuit of creating premium products for all budgets. There are a lot of positives with the Archer 2A V3, including a sleek lightweight design, tactile tail-switch which will prevent accidental activations, multiple modes accessible through an intuitive UI, and IPX-8 waterproof rating to give the peace of mind knowing it can stand up to conditions most consumers will throw at it. While the Archer 2A V3 lacks in some optional, but nice to have features, such as onboard charging, it makes up for it by coming in at a great entry-level price that prospective flashlight enthusiasts can accept without breaking the bank, while also still offering quality LED and design that experienced flashlight hobbyist will appreciate. It’s not a light for everyone, but it fills a great niche that’s been missing in the flashlight market.30 people found this helpfulRead more reviews at Amazon.com
8. Amuoc Tactical Flashlight
- Super Lighting S1000 high Lumen flashlight LED Bulb provides bright light Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 1000 feet away! Conveniently takes 3 standard AAA batteries or 1x18650 rechargeable button top Li-ion battery (Batteries are not included )
- 5 Modes Fit in your pocket backpack or purse allowing Survival bag or car glove compartment for easy storage and quick access Focus in or zoom out to sweep a large area 5 settings replace the need for multiple flashlights (High Medium Low Strobe SOS) Makes for a practical addition to any household or emergency kit
- Adjustable Focus：Our flashlights utilize the latest durable CREE XML T6 LED chip provides super bright light beam easy-controlled head-pulling zoom and easy mode-switch by light taps of button Adjustable focus for use in different situations (just rotate torch head to adjust zoom)
- Waterproof：Skid-proof waterproof explosion-proof Lotus top can protect the lens control cutting technology This flashlight skid-proof abrasion resistance and ordinary waterproof design for better experience It's perfect for use in the rain snow or emergency situations
- Perfect experience：Can be used in any place that needs Light Beautiful design Durable quality please feel free to contact us if you have any questions we will provide you with a perfect solution! And Can you tell us your perfect experience?
The Amuoc Tactical flashlight is a compact and handheld flashlight powered by 3 AAA batteries or a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. It can fit in your pocket and camping bag for portability. The LED bulb emits S1000 lumens that can reach up to 1000 feet distance and light an entire room with ease. It has 5 light modes: SOS, strobe, low, medium, and high. With the press of a button you can turn on the light and by rotating the head of the flashlight you can zoom in and out for wide or narrowness. The flashlight is waterproof, and it is durable enough to be used in a variety of environments.
Sample Customer Review… I LOVE these flashlights and have given several as gifts to friends who love them too! These are the perfect size for taking a walk at night or grabbing off a nightstand in total darkness to light up the entire house. It’s a REALLY bright light! The size is just right, not too big or not too small and you can easily flip it around for self-defense. You can throw all your other flashlights away… don’t even mess with those other little cheap ones.. these are solid and substantial and well worth the price. I keep one in my car and one in pretty much every room of my house. My friend has woods as a backyard and we’re amazed how much it lights up EVERYTHING. It is powerful, so we make sure not to shine it into an animal’s eyes when we spot one. Another feature I like is the way when you pull the flashlight body out to its longest length, it actually makes the lit area smaller into a square so you can pinpoint and show somebody the exact area you want them to see. This flashlight has lasted a long time so far without changing the batteries, and the initial batteries were very easy to put in. And I can attest to the fact these are durable little guys. When I forgot to use the wristband, I’ve dropped these from the back of my SUV onto concrete with surprisingly no issues whatsoever. Their tactical end for self-defense is also a lot sharper and thus more efficient for self-defense than other brands I’ve purchased. Don’t think twice about buying these! They’re packaged nicely and the company has great customer service. Plus two flashlights are always better than one!Read more reviews at Amazon.com
9. Fenix PD35 Tac
- 6 output modes up to 1000 lumens
- Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum; Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
- IPX-8 Standard Rating: 2 meters/6.5 feet for 30 minutes
- Maximum distance: 656 feet/200 meters; Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
- Weights only 3.1 oz/89-gram (excluding the battery)
The Fenix PD35 shares many similar features to the Anker LC90. The Fenix PD35 flashlight is designed with a switch on the back to enable light activation. The brightness is 1000 lumens and the LED bulbs are to last 50,000 hours. The design is comfortable and fits snugly in the hand or pocket. It is made of aircraft-grade aluminum and is lightweight enough to carry It anywhere with no noticeable weight additions. The indicator on the battery tells you when batteries need a recharge and is a cool feature that will give you notice to recharge before the light goes out.
Sample Customer Review… Typical Fenix high quality. Have purchased several different models; my favorite is the PD-35 series–have bought four over several years. This latest is the highest output, and significantly, features a superior LED. Unlike the previous (2014?) model which had a conspicuous yellow halo around the light beam striking an object, 2015 has a clean beam of all one color temperature–I’d guess somewhere between 4000 and 5000 Kelvin. Just make sure you purchase with superior batteries and a charger, both available on AmazonRead more reviews at Amazon.com
10. J5 Tactical V1 Pro Flashlight
- ULTRA BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 600 feet away! 10 times brighter than old incandescent lights. Conveniently powered for hours with a single AA battery or a 14500 rechargeable battery. (Batteries not included)
- COMPACT, FOCUS ADJUSTABLE, THREE MODES - 3 Useful Settings (High – Low - Strobe) and wide-to-narrow beam zoom makes it ideal for use around the house, dog walking, hunting, camping or fishing. It is compact enough to fit in your pocket, backpack, or purse.
- WATER RESISTANT & VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Compact and tough as nails, this flashlight can survive a 9-foot drop or being temporary submerged in water. Some reviewers have even put It in a freezer and run it over with a truck and it will still work! Suitable for use in rain, snow, or emergency situations.
- GREAT VALUE & PEACE OF MIND - Keep one in your car, one in your kitchen and one in your garage, or gift one to a friend or family member. The compact size makes them ideal to keep in a pocket or purse for anyone who has to walk through a car park late at night.
- SATISFACTION 100% GUARANTEED – If you don’t absolutely love your J5 Tactical Flashlight or if there are any issues with it at all. We will replace or refund your purchase. Every genuine J5 Tactical Flashlight comes with a one-year no questions asked replacement warranty and friendly customer service provided by J5 Tactical, a U.S.-based company.
The J5 Tactical V1 Pro is an affordable and rechargeable camping flashlight. It comes in a variety of designs including blue aqua and forest camo. It is compact and durable enough to withstand a 9-foot drop and remain submerged in water for a short time. This flashlight has 3 light modes, strobe, low, and high. The light beam can narrow or widen to fit your environment. The maximum power of this flashlight is only 300 lumens and can be powered by one AA battery or a 14,500 rechargeable battery. The battery can last about an hour of lighting.
Sample Customer Review… Awesome light, very compact design makes it easy to keep anywhere. Very durable design on the body and lens. Easy to focus one-handed. Very bright! I’m using a LiPO battery but still very bright with a normal AA battery. The button has a nice feel as well, I assume it will last quite some time. Overall I think J5 did a great job selecting quality components and putting them in a solid package. Will definitely be back for more.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
11. Fenix LD02
- Stainless steel head and tail switch; White & UV light output
- Easy to use tailcap switch turns light ON/OFF, accesses all 4 outputs
- Ultraviolet LED can be used to detect fluorescent materials, check ids, etc.
- High CRI LED appears very similar to sunlight for better color rendering
- Bundle includes EdisonBright AA battery
The Fenix LD02 is another great flashlight that you could consider including on your camping gear. Having a hard-anodized aluminum body makes it resistant to impact and scratch. The Fenix LD02 features an ultraviolet led giving it the ability to detect fluorescent materials. Its weight of 0.6 oz makes it a portable size pocket and mainly affordable. The 4 brightness outputs (high, medium, low and ultraviolet) on both batteries (1 x Alkaline AAA, 1 x Spare O-Ring) come with instructions of its usage, the lasting time, and the type of lumen used.
Sample Customer Review… This is an odd duck for sure. The stainless steel clicky tail-cap and shiny head body are different, the pocket clip is different, unremovable, kind of styled like a pen clip. I’ve got many Fenix lights over the years, and this one is different. Not necessarily bad. I was expecting the v1.0 of this LD02 which is a completely different light. Anyway, I wanted to write this review because I just decided to run it off a freshly charged 10440, fully expecting to release the magic smoke, or just go pop, or immediately fail, or not work at all, but it didn’t. It was noticeably brighter in all modes, however, the head got very hot, as if the regulation circuitry was dumping all this extra voltage as heat, sort of like how a linear regulator (eg 78xx) would work, versus a switching regulator. It did not go up in smoke for the few seconds I ran it but heated up very fast, so I would like to report that this is definitely NOT RECOMMENDED.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
Buying Guide: Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Flashlight For Camping
This is measured in lumens and LED flashlights are the recommended models to start with. LED flashlights range from about 100 lumens and go to the thousands. The ability to adjust brightness can be very useful. Light mode adjustments can help prolong battery life and suit light levels to your needs.
Run time is also a very important factor to consider when selecting a flashlight, how much time can the flashlight remain on before recharging or need of battery replacement. LED flashlights can run over 100 hours compared to older incandescents which can run to about 11 hours. Is your battery rechargeable? This is something to consider as it makes it easier to keep on and save on extra expenses.
You will also want to consider the durability of your flashlight, to ensure it can handle impact usage before it’s unusable.
When camping, water resistance is a factor to consider as it can get wet and stop working if there are no water resistance factors.
Size and Grip
Size and grip are something to consider since you may want it in your pocket or carry it in a camp bag. Many flashlights accommodate these specifications according to the specific need.
Flashlights are important to include in your camping gear. It is important to find one that suits your needs. LED technology makes it easy to produce flashlights with many features. A good flashlight that has options for brightness adjustment and light settings. Know how long your flashlight will last and bring extra battery rechargers on long trips. Now you will have the best flashlight for camping and have some fun outdoors.
- Best Camping Tools
- Best Camping Sleeping Bag
- Best Camping Showers
- Best Camping Chairs (include Best Ultralight Backpacking Chairs)
- Best Camping Toilet
- Best Camping Fan
- Best Camping Generator
- Best Camping Air Mattress (Include Best Camping Mattress)
- Best Hiking Cameras
- Best Truck Bed Tent
- Best Hiking Boots Under 100
- Best Hiking Snacks
- Best Hiking Gaiters
- Best Lightweight Hiking Shorts for Thru-Hiking
- Best Soft Coolers
Why is a flashlight important in camping?
A flashlight is a useful tool in case of emergency. If the electricity goes out during your camping trip, a flashlight can help you see in the darkness.
What is the best camping lantern?
The UST 30-Day Duro and Black Diamond Apollo Lantern are two of the top choices for camping lanterns.
Written by Anton Millington and Isabel Lembe