So you’ve decided that you want to start sewing leather. You think to yourself, “Where do I start?” “What kind of machine will I need?” Well, there is no need to fret, we have searched the internet and gathered a comprehensive list of 10 of the very best leather sewing machines on the market right now. For each model, we have listed the pros, cons, and any other important information you might need to know when purchasing your very own leather sewing machine.
Best Leather Sewing Machines – 10 Amazing Options
1. JUKI TL-2010Q
- Light weight and portable
- Arm and bed of TL-2010Q is contructed of aluminum die-casting
- Larger work area - wider handling area than conventional sewing machines
- Automatic Thread Trimmer
- Maximum Predetermined Stop Position of the Needle
The JUKI TL-2010Q is a fantastic portable model from the same company as the JUKI DU-1181N. The JUKI TL-2010Q offers fantastic stitching quality and is easy to set up and operate, perfect for beginners. The smart microcomputer-speed-control helps when sewing through tough material like leather. This machine offers a wide range of speeds from 200-1500 stitches per minute. This extra precision is a must-have feature when quilting or precision sewing.
The Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment helps to set the pressure that the presser foot puts on your material. When switching through many levels of lightweight and heavy materials this feature will be extremely helpful. Another great feature is the larger work area, which allows greater ease of use than other conventional sewing machines. The power, speed, and control offered in the JUKI TL-2010Q make it one of the best leather sewing machines.
- Brand: JUKI
- Color: White
- Material: Aluminum
- Weight: 4 lbs
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 25.7 x 14 x 18 inches
- Power: Treadle Powered
- Speed: 1500 SPM
Sample Customer Review…What a dream machine. I needed a straight stitch for piecing and the ability to quilt including free motion quilting. This is the machine.It is substantial.With a larger harp area, it is easy to see what you quilt. The table helps support larger items.It has a couple of more steps to thread than my Singer, but it was not difficult. I like the bobbin that loads from the side. The auto trim is neat. It snips top and bottom threads and doesn’t lose the bobbin thread. I am finding this to be a great feature. This is really a workhorse machine. The stitch is consistent and it feeds the piecing very well. The feed dogs take the fabric easily. I am really falling in love with this machine already. I debated on the price, but after quilting a lap quilt, which would have cost over $100 at the quilters, I feel it will pay for itself in no time. If this machine could talk it would say “Here, let me help you with that”. Love it!!Read more reviews at Amazon.com
2. Singer Heavy Duty 4423
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The 23 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration. Amps (0.7). Watts (84). Volts (120). Hz (60)
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE:The Singer 4423 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1, 100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor provides greater piercing power for thick seams
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: The Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedframe, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, this sewing machine can sew through a variety of heavy weight fabrics and provides long lasting stability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with All-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
Singer is one of the most well-known names in the sewing world, and for good reason. With their impressive designs and top-of-the-line quality, Singer sewing machines leave their sewists satisfied every time. The Singer Heavy Duty 4423 is a powerful machine and an absolute workhorse. Its powerful piercing capabilities will make even the thickest of seams easy to make. With a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches per minute, you will be completing your projects in no-time. With an automatic needle threader, there is no need to worry about taking the time to thread your needle.
There are extra accessories offered by the Singer company specifically for leather sewing. The popular option is the specialty even-feed walking presser which makes sewing leather even easier. This easy-to-use machine with intuitive features makes it a great pick for both beginners and experienced sewists. All things considered, this is one of the best leather sewing machines on the market today.
- Brand: Singer
- Color: Gray
- Material: Metal
- Weight: 14.5 lbs
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 15.5×6.25×12 inches
- Power: Treadle Powered
- Speed: 1100 SPM
Sample Customer Review…I’ve been using a 1942 Bel Aire (Singer knock off from back in the day. Weighs about 35lbs and has an externally housed motor) for years. It’s gotten to the point where the thought of wrestling with that beast has made me stop sewing! I realized I had a pile of projects building up, so I did my research and found this beauty. I had it out of the box and fully set up in less than 10 min with their clear picture instructions, and grabbed a bit of scrap and made a simple pouch in about 90 seconds without ANY issues or readjustments needed. The stitches are beautiful. The machine is fast and precise and feels sturdy while still being quiet and light weight. A lot of the complaints in the reviews (though there aren’t many) must be from novice sewers, because I have never used such a beautiful and effective machine! No weird parts (people were saying they wished they had a spool cap…but there is one. Also something about a felt piece for the bobbin? Crazy talk), no birds nests, simple and clear knobs and threading. And the automatic threader is so simple and genius! It will save some much time. Love the LED light, it is bright and effective. I would say more, but I have about 6 months worth of sewing to catch up on 🙂Read more reviews at Amazon.com
3. Singer Heavy Duty 4411
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: It has 11 Built-in Stitches- 6 Basic Stitches, 4 Decorative Stitches, 1 Built-in Buttonhole—perfect for crafts, home decor, fashion sewing and much more
- ADJUSTABLE NEEDLE POSITION: The needle can be changed to any of the three available positions to add zippers or a decorative touch with topstitching and cording
- HIGH-QUALITY SEWING MACHINE: The heavy-duty metal frame adds stability, and with a strong motor, sewing a higher quantity of items more quickly and efficiently at 1,100 stitches per minute is achievable
- ADJUSTABLE PRESSER FOOT CONTROL SEWING MACHINE: Sew very lightweight and heavy weight fabrics with ease by adjusting the presser foot pressure
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedplate, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, the SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 can sew a wide range of fabrics.Volts:120 V
Another machine from Singer, here with the Singer Heavy Duty 4411 you find a rare combination of power and quality for a reasonable price. With powerful and effective sewing capacity you will be able to work on heavy fabrics like leather with little difficulty. The Singer 4411 is equipped with a 105W motor which makes it both powerful and fast. Most beginners sewing machines only have 60-80W motors, which makes this machine much better than other machines in the same price range.
Along with its power, the Singer 4411 also has impressive speeds of up to 1100 stitches per minute. Another useful feature is the clear plastic cover, which allows you to keep an eye on your bobbin the whole time. Although it only has 11 built-in stitches it still offers 6 basic stitches, 1 built-in buttonhole, and 4 decorative stitches. With its reasonable price and signature Singer quality, this machine is a great pick for any sewist and is especially good for beginners.
- Brand: Singer
- Color: Grey
- Material: Metal
- Weight: 14.5 lbs
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 15.5×6.25×12 inches
- Power: Treadle Powered
- Speed: 1,100 SPM
Sample Customer Review…I’ve sewn for longer than I care to admit but hadn’t for a very long time. When the virus hit I was asked if I would sew masks. It was a great idea, gave me something constructive that I could “do” towards this. But I needed a machine. I wanted something solid and didn’t need a bunch of fancy stitches I wouldn’t use. I didn’t want an electronic computer type machine. After reading reviews I thought this would be the best machine. I called my sister, a seamstress, and asked her for a suggestion without telling her what machine I was thinking of. Interestingly, she had just done some research for her neighbor and came up with this same machine. I ordered it and have made hundreds of masks. Works great. I’d forgotten that I actually enjoy sewing and this machine and project brought all that back. Highly recommend it.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
4. Brother ST371HD Sewing Machine
- 37 unique built-in stitches: The Brother ST371HD features 37 built-in stitches including an auto-size buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes the thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The ST371HD heavy duty sewing machine includes 6 sewing feet, instructional DVD, manual and more
- Versatile free arm: This free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginning to advanced
- At your side support: The ST371HD sewing machine comes with Brother at your side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
The Brother ST371HD is a lower-priced but quality machine. With a heavy-duty design, it can handle hours and hours of work. It can handle a variety of materials and is easy to use. With a portable design and handle, you can bring it wherever you need. This machine has 37 built-in decorative and utility stitches for buttonholes, blind hems, stretch stitches, and zipper insertion. The Brother ST371HD also offers an automatic needle threader for ease of use. This machine is especially good for leather with its specialty non-stick foot which allows for the fabric feeding to be smoother. With smooth fabric feeding, the Brother ST371HD helps to protect the fabric from spoiling.
- Brand: Brother
- Color: White
- Material: Metal
- Weight: 6.6 kg
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 7.87×16.1×12.21 inches
- Power Source: Treadle Powered
Sample Customer Review…I have been a seamstress all my life and at 70 I thought I knew about sewing machines. I have used a Bernina, which I felt was too fussy for me, and switched to Brother when I bought my first Serger. Besides the quality of Brother machines, I feel they are a great company that backs their products. With my Brother machines, I have made more than 40 Renaissance Court costumes, including King and Queen costumes. Now that I am a grandma (Meemo) I have started making doll clothes. I have had a computerized Brother for the last four years but because I am now planning on making covers for an outdoor lawn swing and patio chairs, I decided to get the Brother Strong and Tough to use with the heavyweight fabrics that will be necessary for those projects. Once I had this machine out of its box, it was set up in minutes. The stitches are nice and even and it is easy to adjust the tension and type of stitches. I have used it now on faile and dotted swiss while making dresses for my granddaughters’ dolls and I have had my seven-year-old granddaughter using the machine as I teach her sewing. I had bought her a lightweight Brother as a birthday present but I think I am going to get one of these for her instead. It is a much better machine. I have stored my computerized machine to make room for this one on my sewing table. I find now that after all these years, I prefer the mechanical machine to the computerized ones. What a revelation! All the extra stitches on my computerized machine go to waste as any embroidery that needs to be done I do by hand. Always have. Always will. I appreciate that this machine has a rubber base to keep it from moving while I sew. I appreciate that none of the stitches skip and that it is easy to start sewing at the edge of the fabric without having to hold the threads in the back to keep the stitches from bunching. I like that the presser foot has an extra height adjustment to use on thick fabrics, something I will be needing when I make the lawn swing seats. There a couple of things I miss from my old machine but will adjust to quickly. The “down needle” button for pivoting fabric. The longer cord on the pedal foot which I could drop behind my table top instead of draping forward across the table. The quieter running motor, so I can sew at night without waking my grandkids and their parents up. These are all minor issues though in exchange for a really good machine that I expect will be the last one I get. All of the machine feet I have for my old Brother fit this machine as well, but the bobbins are a slightly different size and not interchangeable. It comes with four bobbins, and I had purchased more bobbins for my granddaughters’ other machine that fit this machine just fine. AND it came with a Teflon foot which will come in handy on many of the fabrics I use for the doll clothes. I am a very satisfied customer. Thank you Brother for continuing to make such great products.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
5. Janome HD3000
The Janome HD3000 is one of the top sewing machines that can work through leather quickly and easily. This machine has the ability to stitch 860 stitches in just one minute. The great thing about this machine is that the user can adjust the pressure foot to where they can stitch through just about any material. The hard case that comes with this sewing machine is great for storage to ensure no damage is done.
- Dimensions of 19 x 10 x 14.7 inches
- Weighs 21 pounds
Sample Customer Review…Love this machine. It sews light to heavy fabric like denim. It’s awesome. Then again, I’m no expert with sewing or sewing machines. I got it to learn to sew, but it’s easy to use and instructions make it even easier. My mom is an expert at sewing and even she loves using this one… she’s old school, doesn’t really care for fancy models, has owned an all-metal parts Singer machine for decades which still handles just fine, too. This Janome is not fancy or digital like modern models, it’s a more basic model, but it does a great job regardless. I’ve had it for over two years and so far haven’t had a single problem with it.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
6. Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There’s even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle’s eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only
Demonstrating their domination of the sewing world, here we have the third Singer on our list with the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960. This machine is truly amazing and boasts mind-boggling features and capabilities. There are 600 built-in stitches, 103 utility stitches, and even 5 alphanumeric fonts for further personalization capacity. With a heavy-duty metal frame, this machine is perfect for sewing thick materials like leather.
With a maximum speed of 850 stitches per minute, you will be able to complete your projects in no time. You will have no problems sewing materials of varying thickness with the 19 presser feet that are included. There is also an extension table which makes this product perfect for quilting. Overall, the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 is a fantastic machine that has many features and capabilities that will make sewists of all skill-levels very pleased.
- Brand: Singer
- Color: Grey
- Material: White
- Weight: 20 lbs
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 17.25×8.25×12 inches
- Power: Corded Electric
- Speed: 850 SPM
Sample Customer Review…I’m so new to the world of sewing (just started in late August) and the machine I had prior to the Singer was ok. It was a bit difficult to manage the speed and my sewing projects wasn’t the best. I found out about the Singer 9960 watching a video of a woman who was doing a tutorial on diapers and all I could focus on was the functionality of her Singer. I fell in love with instantly! I sold my 1.5 month old machine and used the profits to help purchase the 9960 and I have absolutely NO regrets! It’s very user friendly and I love the thread cutter button and the extension table. My crafts (while not perfect) have been much easier to do on this machine vs the other one. I love it!Read more reviews at Amazon.com
7. Janome HD1000
- 14 Built-In Stitches including Utility Stitches, Stretch Stitches and a Simple to Use 4 Step Buttonhole
- The Janome HD1000's Body is Made of Cast Aluminum and Like the Metal Machines of Years Ago the Janome HD1000 is Made To Last
- Comes with A Bunch of Different Accessories Including - Bobbins, Felt, Extra Needles, Two Screwdrivers, Seam Ripper/Buttonhole Ripper, Zipper Foot, Hemmer Foot, Buttonhole Foot, a Hem Guide and a Soft Cover
- The HD1000 Has A Free Arm For Sewing Pants, Cuffs and Collars and Drop Feed for Darning, Stippling, Attaching Buttons and Other Free Motion Applications
- The Janome HD1000 Even Has a Built-In Automatic Needle Threader - Thread Your Needle with Ease and Without Eye-Strain
The Janome HD1000 is a powerful and heavy-duty sewing machine, perfect for sewing leather. It boasts a strong 1.amp motor which allows it to pierce through even tough materials such as leather. With an available foot lifter, you will be able to feed in your lather with ease. Built with an aluminum body, the Janome HD1000 will be able to reduce vibrations even at top speed. This machine comes with 14 built-in stitches including stretch stitches, utility stitches, and a 4 step buttonhole. The Janome HD1000 also offers a free arm perfect for sewing pants, collars, and cuffs. With its built-in automatic needle threader, you won’t have to worry about straining your eyes while threading your needle.
- Brand: Janome
- Color: White
- Weight: 15 lbs
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 1825×8.5×15.25
Sample Customer Review…I am loving it so far!!!!! It has been many years since I have not only had a sewing machine, but had one which was easy to use. I previously had a different brand of machine, which I was never able to get to work properly and only provided me with countless nights of frustration before I finally got rid of it. I don’t even think I was ever able to finish a project on it. After much research I finally settled on purchasing this machine. So far it has served me very well and I have already completed two projects on it (both of them were bags). I am looking forward to my next project (curtains). This machine was very easy to set up and get running from the get go and I have already tested it out on denim and it had no issues! The machine is very simple to use and is well built. I also appreciated that the instruction manual was very well put together and easy to understand! This made setting it up a very smooth process and makes it so much easier to look up information when it is needed. I would recommend this machine to anyone! It is worth spending the money on! I look forward to many years with this machine and hope I will never need to buy a new one, but if I do it will for sure be a Janome.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
8. Heureux Z6
No products found.
The Heureux Z6 is an excellent sewing machine with many capabilities suited for leather. With an impressive 200 built-in stitches, including blind hemstitches, stretch stitches, overlock, applique, and decorative stitches you will be very please with all of the stitching options. The Heureux Z6 also boasts an automatic needle threader to make your sewing easier and save you time. This machine has impressive piercing power which makes it perfect for tough material like leather.
Another great aspect for leather sewing is the presser foot adjustment which allows for ease of feeding as well as ensuring accurate seams. Along with the 200 sewing stitches, there are also 100 alphanumeric sewing stitches, upper and lower case, which are great for any of your stitching needs. The built-in LCD screen is simple and easy to read. The machine is light-weight, easy to transport, and is a great option for both beginner and experienced sewists.
- Brand: Heureux
- Color: White & Teal
- Material: Metal/Plastic
- Weight: 12 lbs
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 15.7 x 7 x 12.2 inches
- Power: Treadle Powered
- Speed: 700 SPM
Sample Customer Review…I just got my sewing machine and read the manual right away. Since I know how to sew, the manual was easy to read and understand. It is easy to use and works like a dream. So many different settings and yet easy to operate and looks so professional. My old “Singer” got to the point where every other stitch would get tangled, snagged or knotted. My new machine, which I cannot pronounce, “Heureux” is the best sewing machine I’ve ever used. Better than my Singers, or my Brother machine and my vellux. So I would definitely recommend this for people that want a great machine for a reasonable price.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
9. Consew 206RB-5
No products found.
The Consew 206RB-5 is a durable machine that can sew through heavy duty materials such as leather, jeans, canvas, and much more. With a stitch length of 10 mm, it can sew through just about anything. Included in this product is a table and servo motor so you won’t have to worry about getting a table to store this product.
- Weight 200 pounds
- Dimensions of 50 x 45 x 20 inches
Sample Customer Review…I had a Consew many years ago with a huge 3/4 horse motor. The new motor is much smaller with the same power. Really nice. As others have stated, there are no instructions for setup. Thank the stars for those folks that have posted on You Tube. (Although, be warned, some of the instructions are not correct.) If you are mechanically inclined, you will figure it out. If not, I would suggest you contact a provider that can put it together for you. I understand that Consew moved their manufacturing to China some time back. It seems to be a solid product. Very happy so far.Read more reviews at Amazon.com
10. JUKI DU-1181N
- Max. Sewing Speed: 2000 stitches/minute
- Max. Stitch Length: 9mm
- Unit dimensions (LxWxH): 48 inches by 20 inches by 48 inches
- Needle: DB X 1
- 110V with industrial clutch motor
The JUKI DU-1181N is a top-of-the-line industrial sewing machine. It is capable of sewing light and medium-thick leather materials. With motor control, you can adjust the stitching speed to your liking. With its industrial design and build, this machine is fast and durable but also won’t cause too much noise. With the automatic needle positioning, you’ll be able to sew your projects with ease. The cylinder bed allows for ease when sewing in hard-to-reach areas. You also won’t have to worry about feeding even the thickest of materials because with the compound walking-foot it will make even your bulkiest materials easy to feed.
- Brand: JUKI
- Color: White
- Weight: 250 lbs
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 48x20x48 inches
- Speed: 2000 SPM
Sample Customer Review…This is really a workhorse for a sewing machine! I love it! It does what my home sewing machine won’t do! So, Yes! 5-stars! And the guys that actually had to ship this to me were awesome! This shipped exactly on the date it was suppose to! Thanks!Read more reviews at Amazon.com
Should you want a new sewing machine specifically for leather, or will your home sewing machine be powerful enough?
While you can sew leather and thicker materials like denim on a normal sewing machine, to create belts and other items that require thick leather, it is best to get a machine with the proper piercing power. The machines on this list are highly rated for their piercing power and their stitching speed. However, if you are only dabbling in sewing leather and are not sure if you will be doing it consistently, then you might be able to get away with sticking to your regular sewing machine.
What about these machines makes them particularly good for leather?
Due to the leather being a particularly thick and occasionally difficult fabric to work with, the machine you are using needs to have the ability to easily pierce the material. Some regular home sewing machines just aren’t equipped to handle heavy leather sewing. Any of the sewing machines in this list will be a solid choice for you and have been specifically rated for your leather sewing needs.
How worried should you be about the stitches per minute capability of your sewing machine?
The answer to this question will depend on if you are an experienced or novice sewist. When sewing leather there is little-to-no room to make any errors in your stitching, so if you are a beginner sewist having a machine that will work at lightning speeds might not be the best for you. However, if you are a professional or intend to make a lot of projects as fast as you can, the faster the machine the better. Having a machine that has variable speed might be the best option for those that aren’t quite sure what they want yet.
How should you maintain my sewing machine?
As with any fine machine, your sewing machine needs to be maintained to ensure that it lasts. Dust can be the source of unnecessary wear and tear if it is allowed to collect. To avoid this you should clean and oil your machine regularly. Just like your car, you need to make sure your sewing machine keeps its moving parts properly oiled. Another great way to avoid dust collection is to buy a cover to protect it when it is not in use. Overall, just like anything else important in your life, make sure to pay attention and take good care of your sewing machine.
Overall, you can’t go wrong with any of these machines. All 8 listed here are top-of-the-line and would make a fantastic addition to anyone’s home sewing station. When deciding to buy your next sewing machine, always check out the ratings and capabilities of the sewing machine, as well as evaluate your financial standing. This list includes the best leather sewing machines you can find, but it is up to you to find out which is the best leather sewing machine for you.
- Best Gifts For Sewers
- Best Affordable Sewing Machine
- Best Sewing Patterns
- Best Sewing Machines for Quilting
- Best Beginner Sewing Machine
- Best Computerized Sewing Machines
- Best Sewing Machine for Heavy Fabrics
- Best Sewing Machine Oil
- Bernina Sewing Machines
- Best Singer Sewing Machine
- Best Vintage Sewing Machines
- Best Walking Foot Sewing Machine
Written by Emma Santee and Katherine Roberts